August 25, 2012

The Race Care Birthday Party

We had a combined birthday party for the boys this year.  Their birthdays are about six weeks apart and this may be the only year we are able to get away with doing it together.  I had to come up with a theme and a place that would work for both a five and two year party.  First, I decided on having it at the Dairy Ashford Roller Rink.  This is the same roller rink that I went to when I was young and it has hardly changed a bit.  It still has the same smell too.  We rented out the whole place (only justifiable because the party was for both boys).  We also had our guests bring push/riding toys to make it more age appropriate.

Then I decided on a race car theme since all the kids would be racing around the roller rink.  I got the invitations on The Trendy Butterfly on etsy.  I love how they turned out and she was super great to work with.  I'll for sure order from her again.  How cute is that picture on there?
I found my race car inspiration from the invitations, a friends party, pinterest, Etsy and blogs.  Basically just got ideas from all over.  Here is the food table.  Everything had a name: Silverware-tools, strawberries-spark plugs, cheese cubes-engine blocks, twizzlers-dip sticks, chocolate mini donuts-tires, popcorn-nuts & bolts and drinks-fuel.  I ordered the table tents from The Trendy Butterfly too.
I decided to do fondant toppers on the cupcakes.  My friend Erica did it at her daughters party last year and I just loved it.  I ordered mine from Top It Cupcakes on Etsy.  They turned out so cute and they tasted yummy too.  I just bought plain cupcakes from HEB.
 I decided to do something simple with the table that the kids would be eating on.  I found the plastic roadway at Arnie's and just got matchbox cars so the kiddos could play before and after they ate.  The cars were part of their party favors along with key chain flashlights and race car lollipops.
 Love this family picture (especially the carpeted walls of the roller rink).  The Trendy Butterfly also did the boys t-shirts. 
  Here's the scene from the rink...
 Miller basically stayed on his wiggle racer the whole time.
 GraMary helping Miles ride a scooter.
  Happy birthday to Miller and Miles...
 Loving the cupcakes.
 My sweet boys.  I can't believe they are five and two.  They are getting so big.

No comments: